Saturday, January 19, 2013

Focus on Life - Week 3 - Take Time

This is my week 3 contribution to Focus on Life 52 Photos
The prompt for this weeks challenge is take time. I adore antiques.  I love everything about them.  The way they smell, look, feel. The stories behind them.  Most of the antiques I own I have no story to connect with them. I do not know who their previous owner/s are.  


In this picture are many different eras of items.  The hat I think is from the 20's or 30's  The iron, I can't begin to think.  Probably around the turn of the last century.  The milk bottle is probably from the 50s and the martini glass the 60's.  The tonic bottle from the back I am thinking 40s.  My idea of taking time is to slow down and enjoy my home. I imagine the woman who wore this hat.  Was she happy?  Did she have a family? Where did she live.  I imagine the milk bottle in a school cafeteria in the 50's. A little boy or girl drinking out of it.  Maybe worrying about a recent bomb drill or having their homework done for arithmatic.  The martini glass I picture a woman with a bee hive entertaining her husband's boss and wife on a Friday night.  The iron...don't get me started.  The thought of having to heat up an iron in the fire to press my clothes is beyond my comprehension!  :)  I find ironing relaxing (when I do get to it) but to heat up an iron in a fire. Ut uh!

Franklin Institute

Center City Philadelphia Row Home
I also took time this week and went to the Titanic Exhibition at the Franklin Institute with my boys. I was unable to take pictures in the exhibit, it was prohibited.  But seeing all of the artifacts made me think of some of the treasures I have here at my house and how precious they are.  I am not much of a photographer but I am trying to learn how to use my new camera. I enjoy taking pictures.  I need to work up my nerve to position myself lying down or twisting myself, etc. to get the shot.  I am not quite there yet.  :)   So I took some time this week to enjoy the treasures I have in my own home, my children and exploring Philadelphia a little.  

29 comments:

  1. I love the iron. It's very similar to the one I have that originally belonged to my great-great grandmother. My great grandmother was born in 1884 so, the iron was probably Civil War era. I imagine that ironing with those heavy irons wasn't nearly as relaxing as using your modern iron. I'm grateful for modern irons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about ironing not being relaxing with one of those things! Lol. It is really cool though and I love that yours was is from your family. <3

      Delete
  2. I have s small collection of antiques too. I often wonder about the story behind them. I'm glad you took the time this week to enjoy your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG-I cannot believe there are others "out there" who enjoy ironing...like me! I find it absolutly zen-like! Glad you had time to explore - I need to do that. I live in Northern Virginia - antique shops are everywhere here - as well as tons of museums. The Battle of First Manassas site is 6 miles from my house and I have never been there! I need it to warm up a bit first, though! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I like to iron but I don't iron very often. I used to like setting up my ironing board and ironing and watching t.v. I only have a table top one now.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a relaxing day at the museum. I love a good batch of old stuff to sort through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beti, it is so much fun sorting through antiques!

      Delete
  5. lol...i love to iron too..would have to in order to indulge in my passion with linen clothing! Love the antiques and I am the same...can spend hours antiquing and prefer the older stuff to anything new...except couches and beds!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to iron but I don't very often. :) thanks for stopping Stacie!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have a great collection. I love that you take time to think of the past owners. It sounds like a fun exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya! I have a little collection and I do enjoy the pieces.

      Delete
  7. I love antiques, and visiting museums, but not so much ironing! What a great way to take time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping Annette! I like to,iron but am pretty lazy amd try to get things out of the dryer quickly.

      Delete
  8. great photos! every object tells a story, doesn't it?
    have a wonderful week!
    [no 13 this week]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! You have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  9. I love going antiquing, it's a wonderful way to spend a day. That exhibit sounds like a great escape!

    (I'm #40 this week)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeling, the exhibit was wonderful! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete
  10. I too love being home and appreciating what I have around me, taking pride. I really enjoyed hearing the stories you associated with the antiques. I'm sure this 52 weeks prompts will hone our photography skills all year long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I am,hoping that I will get used to the new camera. :)

      Delete
  11. The way you look at antiques will give me a new appreciation for them--imagining the stories of those who owned them previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia thanks for stopping. I really do enjoy imagining what the owners of my pieces were like. It helps me to feel connected to tne past.

      Delete
  12. Antiques and museums-two of my favorite things (though my husband puts the squash on too many antiques, especially the rusty kind). I love to imagine the owner and what their life must have been.

    Great photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, I love the rusty kind! Lol. But not so much in the house. :)

      Delete
  13. I love that exhibit! They really do a nice job of taking you through a portal of time with that. I remember vividly being interested in the state rooms, especially how different that classes were, and especially touching the ice in the iceberg room. I remember that 2 of our 4 personas ended up being on the deceased list. It was powerful to walk through that exhibit and see the stories of those artifacts come to life. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun way to use your time. I too wonder about previous owners. We lived in several old farm houses & my husband used to say "if these old walls could talk I wonder what they would say"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I would love to live in an old farm house! :)

      Delete
  15. I'm a fan of thrift and antique stores too, but I don't often put much thought into who owned them before as that would make the item theirs and not mine. The one exception to this is an old sewing box I found, still brimming with wooden spools of thread, needles, and old buttons. I imagined a little old lady with her sewing supplies. Once she passed, he family had no interest in the box. Seeee. . .again I get the person out of the picture so there's no stings attached to me owning it. Gah. There must be something wrong with me.
    Anyway, I'm so glad you got some time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete